About Us » Our History
Cliffwood PCA is the offspring of Augusta's historic First Presbyterian Church that began as a mission effort in 1952. Its name is derived from the Cliffwood Chapel, one of its first buildings used for worship. 156 people gathered for a dedication service at this building on April 4, 1954. Several years of steady growth began to strain the chapel building and the leadership began planning for a future home. A nine acre tract was purchased at 2525 Lumpkin Road and the present sanctuary was erected on February 11, 1956 and dedicated on May 2, 1956. On January 6, 1957, the congregation was particularized in the PCUS. On January 15, 1989, because of concerns regarding the theological liberalism within that denomination, the membership of Cliffwood voted to request dismissal from the PCUSA. Cliffwood was received into Central Georgia Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) on March 5, 1989. Cliffwood strives to maintain the purity and peace of the Gospel in the continuing Church of Christ.and since then, the members of Cliffwood have faithfully sought to carry on the great heritage handed down to them.
Cliffwood has always honored the pulpit as the place where the Word of God is opened and taught. The pastors that have faithfully served this congregation are Bob Floyd, Malcolm Bullock, Herbert Bailey, Paul Rowland, Robert Griffith, Ted Hagen, Arthur Wood III, Charles Rector, and Michael Cannon. Our current pastor is Geoff Gleason.